Grow a Richer LifeStyle – Put Down Roots
It’s spring and it’s time to visit your local independent garden center so you can Plant Something! and improve your quality of life. So, how’s a plant or tree possibly going to make your life better?
- By lowering your heart rate
- Providing beauty and shade
- Improving your property value – boost your homes resale value by up to 15% and its sale by 5-6 weeks
- Lowering your energy costs by as much as 25%
- Cleaning the air and water – one tree can remove 26 lbs of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere equaling 11,000 miles of car emissions
- Creating a more inviting yard and community
Try naming something as easy and inexpensive that can pull all that off!
The month of April brings multiple events where you can ‘get your green on.’ Pick one or pick all, but Don’t Just Stand There – Dig In and Plant Something!
Thank you to the AZNA who originated the Plant Something! campaign in 2009 and to the thirteen forward thinking organizations, including the ONLA, who have embraced the promotion. For more information on Plant Something!, check out the April issue of the ONLA’s ‘The Buckeye,’ BuckeyGardening.com and onla.org.
Destined to be a Dogwood Legend
I have always associated native flowering dogwoods with Easter likely to hearing the Legend of the Dogwoodduring my childhood.
A new take on an old favorite is Firebird variegated dogwood. This selected native is slower growing than other cultivars and has red flowers with white centers.
Firebird® Variegated Dogwood
Cornus florida rubra ‘Fircomz’
A sport from Cherokee Brave, Firebird’s finest attribute is it’s green and white variegated foliage sporting red to burgundy new growth all season long. As fall nights cool, red tones over take the entire leaf.